Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Canada Day Celebrations

We've had a suggestion on the topic of Canada Day. Does the group have thoughts on how Canada Day festivities should go and how will we recognize our Indigenous population and their perspective given the recent circumstances.

I don't know any Indians who celebrate Canada Day, for them the idea of celebration and Canada Day are exclusive to one another. For what it's worth, I don't celebrate Canada Day either, as hard as I've tried I don't fit in and I think the national anthem is dumb. How'm I doin' so far?

doug cox and CARE have reacted to this post.
doug coxCARE

I'm on the board for the Mission Folk Fest, and I've recently joined the group you've created, C.A.R,E. I'm excited to see where this group goes, it's a wonderful idea! I have a question I'd like to put to this group. I am a fiddler by trade, and I often get asked to perform for Canada Day. Every year I struggle more and more with appropriate ways to recognize this day, as well as recognize the ongoing struggles of the First Nations community, and this year is particularly difficult. I know that many artists will share this worry. This year I've been asked to perform for a video to include for online Canada Day presentation, and I guess my question is this: Does this group have thoughts on what material they're going to perform and what message they'd like to convey on Canada Day events. We do have a platform to help plant seeds of change, but how to use it responsibly and effectively?

doug cox and CARE have reacted to this post.
doug coxCARE

one opinion…

https://thetyee.ca/Opinion/2021/06/16/Canada-Day-Best-Way-To-Celebrate-Is-Cancel/?fbclid=IwAR1-SraOlKIMttMHsVhbh6wECorAljNJ74ExwiIuH5fbMl9alHuo1WW41jE

I was hoping more folks would respond JB - not sure if it’s too hard to use this forum or if people aren’t seeing it?

It's a tough call Canada Day, while I do think it inappropriate to just carry on as normal, It's also an important day and maybe another opportunity to engage with our First People about how they would see it proceed or not or what changes could be made. It's also a great platform for music activism. On Canada 150, I booked a well known Indigenous band and they used that date to express their truth. It was uncomfortable for some, while others really appreciated the fact that they had the stage to do so. I guess my thoughts are cancelling does not accomplish as much as changing does.

Spread the love